Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you get out if you could?

Quote Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
    And the voices in your head say?
    That I'm a moron...

Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    We powned it. Honestly days like this where we predominantly get positive feedback is fantastic.
    We had 1 complaint, 2 year old battery on a tractor was dead and even with the new one it didn't want to start. Not sure why.

It's not the complaints, it's the breakdowns that I don't know how to prevent because it's not abuse. Old junk maybe? But I can't replace an entire fleet at once.

Got a junk broom on a Deere. They work fine on the 1 Series but on a 3 Series...it can't handle it. Got a different brand ordered from Steve. Hopefully before the end of winter. lol

New stuff works great, so maybe it is just the old junk that I should have turned over a long time ago. Just a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Oyster View Post
    You're a moron that needs something to bitch aboot?
    Sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Oyster View Post
    I was hoping for some words of wisdom from Connor...

Unlike all you rich business owners with property and assets, I’m just a lowly employee. There’s no payday waiting for me when I get out. Just a loss of income.

Regardless, snow is just in my blood. I can’t explain why I love it so much. I like the demands and challenges. And the unpredictability of it. I especially like the people I work with who are willing to battle Mother Nature and sacrifice their time to work hard to do things normal people wouldn’t do, or don’t understand. I like being associated with other companies and people who understand the business. I enjoy driving in it in the night time when the roads are not congested.

I don’t like the stress of equipment breakdowns, unrealistic client expectations, girly men who piss, moan and do a lousy job, or the game to secure product. Pretty much everything else is fun.

I wasnt going to post this but i guess ill share an update.

We had been working with divisons the last 3.5 years. It was a decent working relationship. But the account manager we had got straight unbearable this winter. I think a lot of my desire to quit came from working for that girlyman. Nothing i could ever do was right. Plans that were communicated 12 hrs before a storm, he'd want to change 2 hrs before snowfall. I told him no alot and he didnt appeeciate that. We're not a company he could ride hard and put away wet. I got texts from him that would boil my blood if a client ever talked to an employee that way. But i took it because i signed on the line saying id be there this year.

So monday we pown the 5 inch all daytime storm. Cleanup plow and salting tuesday early am. Get a call Tuesday afternoon saying we're terminated. Guy wants to settle our seasonals by prorating January by the days we were assigned to the accounts. It would be something like $14k. Problem is their contract says we're due the inches received season to date against the season average which equates to just short of $48k, a 34k swing. Hope we dont litigate over this but ive let them know im willing.

We still have a book of business that most people would envy, even without divisions work. Now when it snows, my team will be so happy to only focus on those clients who appreciate us. We'll have some pieces sitting at the shop this winter which sucks most about all this - just put $40k cash into another salt truck which will be sitting. And now the hunt begins to grow into new accounts who value us and our services.

As a closing statement, when i asked why he wasnt standing up for me to his clients, my divisons rep said to me "my only goal here is to maintain these contracts". If anyone reading this is in a bond servant relationship with a prop mgt co, think about this. You're just a pawn, that they care nothing about, who only exists to make them look good. Not so you can make profit. Not for the betterment of your compamy. Not for a positive working relationship. Youre a tool to keep them their contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    Unlike all you rich business owners with property and assets, I’m just a lowly employee. There’s no payday waiting for me when I get out. Just a loss of income.

Regardless, snow is just in my blood. I can’t explain why I love it so much. I like the demands and challenges. And the unpredictability of it. I especially like the people I work with who are willing to battle Mother Nature and sacrifice their time to work hard to do things normal people wouldn’t do, or don’t understand. I like being associated with other companies and people who understand the business. I enjoy driving in it in the night time when the roads are not congested.

I don’t like the stress of equipment breakdowns, unrealistic client expectations, girly men who piss, moan and do a lousy job, or the game to secure product. Pretty much everything else is fun.
    Pretty well sums it up...although I'm not sure about the "payday" at the end of the game.

I wasnt going to post this but i guess ill share an update.

We had been working with divisons the last 3.5 years. It was a decent working relationship. But the account manager we had got straight unbearable this winter. I think a lot of my desire to quit came from working for that girlyman. Nothing i could ever do was right. Plans that were communicated 12 hrs before a storm, he'd want to change 2 hrs before snowfall. I told him no alot and he didnt appeeciate that. We're not a company he could ride hard and put away wet. I got texts from him that would boil my blood if a client ever talked to an employee that way. But i took it because i signed on the line saying id be there this year.

So monday we pown the 5 inch all daytime storm. Cleanup plow and salting tuesday early am. Get a call Tuesday afternoon saying we're terminated. Guy wants to settle our seasonals by prorating January by the days we were assigned to the accounts. It would be something like $14k. Problem is their contract says we're due the inches received season to date against the season average which equates to just short of $48k, a 34k swing. Hope we dont litigate over this but ive let them know im willing.

We still have a book of business that most people would envy, even without divisions work. Now when it snows, my team will be so happy to only focus on those clients who appreciate us. We'll have some pieces sitting at the shop this winter which sucks most about all this - just put $40k cash into another salt truck which will be sitting. And now the hunt begins to grow into new accounts who value us and our services.

As a closing statement, when i asked why he wasnt standing up for me to his clients, my divisons rep said to me "my only goal here is to maintain these contracts". If anyone reading this is in a bond servant relationship with a prop mgt co, think about this. You're just a pawn, that they care nothing about, who only exists to make them look good. Not so you can make profit. Not for the betterment of your compamy. Not for a positive working relationship. Youre a tool to keep them their contracts.
    That's interesting as Divisions was the only NSP I never had any issues with.

I had that with a huge contract years ago...all I can figure is the decision makers were used to kickbacks or freebies and we didn't play that game. Never once were they happy...to the point of calling my employees idiots. That didn't fly with me. We fired them. Good thing too, because that winter we had just about every storm start at 3-4 AM, I would have lost my mind trying to make them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    That's interesting as Divisions was the only NSP I never had any issues with.

I had that with a huge contract years ago...all I can figure is the decision makers were used to kickbacks or freebies and we didn't play that game. Never once were they happy...to the point of calling my employees idiots. That didn't fly with me. We fired them. Good thing too, because that winter we had just about every storm start at 3-4 AM, I would have lost my mind trying to make them happy.
    I must be hard to work with because Ive yet to have a good outcome from a nsp.

It's not you!

Quote Originally Posted by Herm Witte View Post
    It's not you!
    thanks Herm

Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post

I be 1 man show i do it because I like it. I like the cold the snow.
    Oh sure you're street smart.

Sesame Street Smart.

Maybe im blessed to have a critically thinking mind. Alot of times it's a curse.

For example, real life numbers.

Our business put about $90k on the bottom line strictly from snow in 2017. However, we also had TONS of depreciation against that number. In the last 15 months weve commissioned 3 new salt trucks at 40k a piece, bought 2 new-to-us loaders averaging $30k each, and only 1 new pusher at $10k. Ive always ran the snow ops debt free so ive sunk $190k in cash to make $90k in profit.

Does this make anyone else scratch their heads? It doesn't seem right to me.

If im effectively only working snow to buy assets, that are only needed to work snow, then whats the point?

I must be hard to work with because Ive yet to have a good outcome from a nsp.
    It's because you're a caveman...

so easy a caveman could do it? But yet I can still manage to screw it up....

are you talking about my extremely handsome beard? Because I'm starting a new category. Pilots who have a badass beard who aren't terrorists.

I thought he was Mr. Nice Guy????

I really don't appreciate the Plowlord calling me a "Girlyman"

Quote Originally Posted by Matson Snow View Post
    Nah. Not me. Im a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Matson Snow View Post

I really don't appreciate the Plowlord calling me a "Girlyman"
    https://youtu.be/KN6ngThqMEs

You sure he wasn't referring to Ryan???

That is pretty gutsy after sending me a pic of his mandletoes...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information