Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Road salt runoff is destroying lakes and rivers in North America

  1. #1

    Default Road salt runoff is destroying lakes and rivers in North America

    I'm conflicted about this. I'm not a tree-hugger but I am a firm believer in being a good steward of the earth. Are we okay with fixing a short term problem while creating a long term one? I don't know. We may get to the point of where we'll need to accept sand/grit applications instead of salt.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/la...tudy-1.4064476

    http://www.startribune.com/rising-sa...050/419088124/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Wish i could find a job where i could waste time outside answering questions noone is asking. Seems crazy that our tax dollars fund so many people to answer such trivial questions. Pretty simple. We put salt down. It has to go somewhere. I don't see any of our private contracts caring. I think this is going to be one of those NIMBY issues

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The NEW EllTeeEss
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Canadian Hilary Dugan, a limnologist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison,
    What is a limnologist and University of Wisconsin-Madison are the first 2 strikes.

    Having said that, yes, there is a lot of oversalting. And yes we have created the idea that parking lots should be 100% clear 12 months out of the year. So have lawyers, judges and juries.

    I have never considered suing anyone the times I have slipped and fell. I'm more embarrassed than anything else.

    Sectional type plows are a step in the right direction.

    Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In the moment
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    I also agree it's a problem. We really shouldn't be purposely polluting our freshwater lakes and streams. That's exactly what we're doing. Advocating the reduction of usage isn't going to solve the problem. And we all know the "alternatives" can't replace salt. There really is no solution other than to ban the use of deicers. However that solution creates a huge safety problem. Everyone knows salt saves lives.

    The mentality of our clients and also the laws will need to be changed drastically and completely in order to stop the contamination.

    Fair to say that will never happen?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TCLA View Post
    The mentality of our clients and also the laws will need to be changed drastically and completely in order to stop the contamination.
    Oh it's changing alright, and it sure isn't for the better in reducing the use of deicers....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The NEW EllTeeEss
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Like I said, I don't understand the mentality of slip and fall victims....it's winter, it's slippery. **** happens whether we plow and salt or not. People slip and fall in bathtubs. Stairs. Going over curbs vs walking to the sidewalks. We had a rash of idiots getting killed on one of our main thoroughfares because they were too lazy to walk to the crosswalk. Jaywalking at night, in 45 MPH zones with 2 lanes of traffic in each direction and a left turn lane.

    Why do women wear winter coats when it's cold but think high heels are perfectly fine to wear in 6" of snow? Take some responsibility for your actions.

    Same thing for men that wear wingtips without any tread.

    It is what it is, frozen water is slippery. Adjust and move on.

    Evolution is obviously wrong, because people are not getting smarter.

    Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In the moment
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Here's one I'm dealing with right now. Snow began falling around 6:00am. Sidewalks/front doors were treated at the beginning of the snowfall. By 7:00am it was plowable. Plaintiff fell walking in the parking lot around 8:00am. Takes several hours to finish plowing before we can lay down salt. Client want's salt after plowing. Snowed 8"-10" that day. The plaintiff was in the ambulance when I took the pic. You can see the loader was working when he fell. We where doing our job and following our contractual agreement. We did everything right, yet are still sucked into a lawsuit.IMG_3615.jpgIMG_3618.jpg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The NEW EllTeeEss
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Madsen could have burned oof 8-10" with the salt he didn't get on the Focus hoods.

    Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New England Nomad
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    You can please some of the people some of the time.

    heated parking lots and roadways, powered by nukes......
    Caucasian and Confident

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    Like I said, I don't understand the mentality of slip and fall victims....it's winter, it's slippery. **** happens whether we plow and salt or not. People slip and fall in bathtubs. Stairs. Going over curbs vs walking to the sidewalks. We had a rash of idiots getting killed on one of our main thoroughfares because they were too lazy to walk to the crosswalk. Jaywalking at night, in 45 MPH zones with 2 lanes of traffic in each direction and a left turn lane.

    Why do women wear winter coats when it's cold but think high heels are perfectly fine to wear in 6" of snow? Take some responsibility for your actions.

    Same thing for men that wear wingtips without any tread.

    It is what it is, frozen water is slippery. Adjust and move on.

    Evolution is obviously wrong, because people are not getting smarter.
    Most people are morons, get a group of them together and they compete with each other to see who's the biggest moron. This seems to be more cultural/regional than anything. The biggest city around me is Denver aboot 60miles away and I sure there's moron contest going on down there. Where I'm at people dress for the weather (I had to use the Google for Wingtips) and weather is something you work with.
    When I first got on snow related forums I was blown away with the amount of salt used by contractors back east. I use aboot 25% of what's used back there and there's many times only walks get de-icer and my customers drive this.
    No matter where you go.....there you are........

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    Madsen could have burned oof 8-10" with the salt he didn't get on the Focus hoods.



    I was dispatched to said site on a Code Red Call....The site in question we just salt and maintain the walks..As Jim stated...It was snowing pretty good and plowing was in progress...I will add one more thing to this...The site in question I have noticed a fair number of people with questionable characters....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Oyster View Post
    Most people are morons, get a group of them together and they compete with each other to see who's the biggest moron. This seems to be more cultural/regional than anything. The biggest city around me is Denver aboot 60miles away and I sure there's moron contest going on down there. Where I'm at people dress for the weather (I had to use the Google for Wingtips) and weather is something you work with.
    When I first got on snow related forums I was blown away with the amount of salt used by contractors back east. I use aboot 25% of what's used back there and there's many times only walks get de-icer and my customers drive this.





    It all goes back to people want it water the minute it stops snowing...That's the mentality in this area...A few years back I was managing a large industrial site...We had 13"-16" of snow...Quit snowing about 2am Monday morning...We had the place plowed and about 80% water by 630am...They still bitched that there was still some wind blowen snow areas on the walks...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TCLA View Post
    Here's one I'm dealing with right now. Snow began falling around 6:00am. Sidewalks/front doors were treated at the beginning of the snowfall. By 7:00am it was plowable. Plaintiff fell walking in the parking lot around 8:00am. Takes several hours to finish plowing before we can lay down salt. Client want's salt after plowing. Snowed 8"-10" that day. The plaintiff was in the ambulance when I took the pic. You can see the loader was working when he fell. We where doing our job and following our contractual agreement. We did everything right, yet are still sucked into a lawsuit.IMG_3615.jpgIMG_3618.jpg



    Jim...Could we get a picture of the front of the building with your truck in it...Drivers side facing out

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Looks like wallyworld. We do 5 of them and they are our only places i get concerned on liability. Some fat phuck convinced insurance he needed a new paint job on a 10 year old tundra since our salt truck "dented and rusted" his hood and cab's roof. Still bitter he got that done.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The NEW EllTeeEss
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matson Snow View Post
    I was dispatched to said site on a Code Red Call....The site in question we just salt and maintain the walks..As Jim stated...It was snowing pretty good and plowing was in progress...I will add one more thing to this...The site in question I have noticed a fair number of people with questionable characters....
    Ryan was purchasing litter box supplies????

    Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The NEW EllTeeEss
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Oyster View Post
    Most people are morons, get a group of them together and they compete with each other to see who's the biggest moron. This seems to be more cultural/regional than anything. The biggest city around me is Denver aboot 60miles away and I sure there's moron contest going on down there. Where I'm at people dress for the weather (I had to use the Google for Wingtips)
    LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Oyster View Post
    and weather is something you work with.
    When I first got on snow related forums I was blown away with the amount of salt used by contractors back east. I use aboot 25% of what's used back there and there's many times only walks get de-icer and my customers drive this.
    Funny thing is there is a HUUUGE difference between GR and Lansing....45 miles roughly. Head to Detoilet and and it's twice as bad as Lansing.

    Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The NEW EllTeeEss
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matson Snow View Post
    Plow Lord...Could we get a picture of the front of the building with your truck in it...Drivers side facing out
    I'll echo this request.

    Not from the far edge of the parking lot, either.

    PS I made a slight change to your post Mr Madsen.

    Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    Ryan was purchasing litter box supplies????



    Lost his phone...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The NEW EllTeeEss
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matson Snow View Post
    Lost his phone...

    LMAO............they do have a lot of shelves at HD.................

    Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,661

    Default

    Trip and falls are an all year round concern for property owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    There will be an all knowing young kid to say otherwise but trust me, you dont want to run these with a vbox

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •