Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NTEA 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Matson Snow View Post
    Cordless Tools....Overrated...Toros...They are Red....Walkers...Never used....Internal Combustion Engines...Not Proven.....Telegraphs.....Wave of the Future....
    Mabey we can start going backward, smoke signals, and home made shine,

My brother has two or three old Western Tornadoes (****ty, old electric) in the fleet yet. They're probably 8-10 years old, have had countless conveyor belts, rear bearings, drive motors, etc... through the years, but I'm sure alot of it is his complete lack of maintenance. He got pretty big into raising steers about 4-5 years ago, and he using one or two of the spreaders 365 days a year to feed corn to them with (minus the spinner). I have to admit, since he's used them for feeding corn, they've been far more reliable than the past. And the steers certainly appreciate the extra sodium in their diets in winter. The biggest downside to the dual-use is that customers often wonder why there's kernel corn in their lots after the snow melts. My boilerplate answer is that it's for " extensive de-icer product dosage verification studies that are proprietory to the S&I contractor" or I simply say "it's so I can find my way back out of the lot again"......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
    And why I am always bitching about stuff? I'm really like bir.

Well, I didn't try (but succeeded anyway) to start a debate. While I'm not a "big" contractor by any stretch, my 5yd smith medium duty electric just completed it's 7th season. Prior to the smith was an airflo (outgrew in 1 year), and prior to that was the buzz box (also quickly outgrown) and an assortment of tailgate spreaders. I absolutely love my smith, I put about 5 tons per event through it, 20-25 events per season. It's re-loaded after each event, and sits in my shop fully loaded waiting for the next run. It has NEVER EVER jammed, and the conveyor motor is un-touched original, the sprinner motor was rebuilt after it's 2nd season due to corrosion, and hasn't been touched since. The gear reduction chain has been replaced once due to rust, which was due to a design flaw in the side cover allowing salt to sit in constant contact with it, rather than being able to fall out of the cover. The smith has convinced me that when designed well, and properly maintained, an electric spreader is in fact a viable option, and a great alternative to having to spend $4-5k adding central hydraulics to a truck. The monroe appears to be designed similar to the smith, though the electric motors are smaller which could be an issue.

Sure, if I was putting 60 tons an event through a spreader, a hydraulic setup would undoubtedly be better. The smith is also a drag chain design, which I'm convinced is far better than any belt or auger design. The auger design of the buzz box is subject to jams with chunky salt, which is I'm sure the same thing that happens with all of the other auger design spreaders, as electric motors don't have the torque to power through a jam, whereas a drag chain allows chunks to get "chewed up". I've never used any other auger or belt design spreader, and don't ever intend to.

I love my medium duty electric, it's perfect for my business as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLA View Post
    Woulda shoulda coulda...if's and but's are like monkeys and nutz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bri View Post
    THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY IGNORANT BRAINWASHED CITIZENS FOR A NOT SO GOOD CAUSE AND VARIOUS POLICE STATE AGENDA LOBBYING GROUPS

I should clarify.........my hydraulic Vbox is a piece of crap.....had to do a MAJOR repair on it this year. The gearbox finally crapped oot.

Almost $1400 to replace it. Flaming piece of crap..........only lasted 17 seasons. On the conservative side, it's probably only had 3,000 tons of salt run through it.

Not only that, since they don't make that gearbox anymore, they had to cut the ORIGINAL shaft oof and replace 1 of the 3 ORIGINAL flange bearings to replace the shaft. The other 2 are still going strong. Or weak.

Plus........I've had to replace the drag chain TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a handful of spinner motors due to the seal leaking.

I just can't afford what this thing is costing me. It's worse than a 6.0. Or a Meyer\Swenson POS that had a spinner motor that couldn't last more than 3 events. Or the SaltMutt that needed a new spinner motor at least once a year whether you cleaned it or not.

Piece of junk is all I can say.

Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

There has to be the 1 out there that is the best.
    With little to no down time. Yes i know they are in a very harsh environment.
    Has anyone ever thought about making one. Taking what you like and dislike about them. To make it work day in and out.
    Oh sure you're street smart.

Sesame Street Smart.

Even at 5 tons per event, I believe central hydros would pay for themselves long term. I know we won't be without them now after having them. Although I might consider an electric drag chain spreader for a pickup. Maybe. Possibly.

My next spreader will most likely be a 3 yard electric as I just don't want to set up another 3500 with hydraulics. Plus I want to try one. The other side of me is saying 5k for central hydro's is cheap when you keep the truck for 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    There will be an all knowing young kid to say otherwise but trust me, you dont want to run these with a vbox

Quote Originally Posted by JD Dave View Post
    My next spreader will most likely be a 3 yard electric as I just don't want to set up another 3500 with hydraulics. Plus I want to try one. The other side of me is saying 5k for central hydro's is cheap when you keep the truck for 10 years.
    Will you be upgrading the electrical system? Trailer with solar panels and windmill(s)?

Not sure what you plan on using it for, but if it's regular salting, every night, you're going to hate yourself.

If it's a coffee picker upper and only going to be used for touching stuff up, you might be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    If it's a coffee picker upper and only going to be used for touching stuff up, you might be OK.
    Touch ups are about the only thing I like the electric spreaders for. First off, they don't spread anywhere near wide enough to overshoot your target, even if you're not paying attention and forget to turn it down. Second, they don't put out enough material anywhere near fast enough to make any piles in parking lots.

Not saying that hydro can't do it, but it can be a bit more challenging because they're so much better at what they're actually meant to do.

Quote Originally Posted by John_DeereGreen View Post
    Touch ups are about the only thing I like the electric spreaders for. First off, they don't spread anywhere near wide enough to overshoot your target, even if you're not paying attention and forget to turn it down. Second, they don't put out enough material anywhere near fast enough to make any piles in parking lots.

Not saying that hydro can't do it, but it can be a bit more challenging because they're so much better at what they're actually meant to do.
    Be sure and tell Brickman that they're doing it wrong. One of the largest companies in the nation uses to my knowledge exclusively electric spreaders.

I have a lot of customers running lots of versions of Elcrric/poly hopper spreader and doing so very successfully. They like all equipment are better suited for some applications then others. They Can be material sensitive, and the higher the quality the better they perform. They like electrical maintance and prevention, and the auger units require proper baffle adjustments to flow material well. Obviously they are not suited for everyone but in this area they easily out sell gas drive/hydraulic units ten to one.

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!
    "Big hitter, the Lama. Long!." Carl Spackler

Be sure and tell Brickman that they're doing it wrong. One of the largest companies in the nation uses to my knowledge exclusively electric spreaders.
    Doesn't Brinkman use Meyer plows exclusively?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    Doesn't Brinkman use Meyer plows exclusively?
    Western to my knowledge.

And SnowEx at that. Whatever works for them.

I've had my share of all and to be honest ,,,,, just give me a Stainless steel drag box, electric clutch, 13 hp Honda ( hand throttle set at 3/4 ) and q simple switch........
    DONE!!! FAIL PROOF!!!
    I've dumped more out of a 4 yd ice breaker this way than any.......
    If you cant run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information