Thread: capacitors to help with overloaded alternator

Default capacitors to help with overloaded alternator

I have a 2000 gmc 3500 with a unimount plow. It is clearly overloading my alternator when I run the plow. I am in the process of adding capacitors to help take the load off the battery. Has anyone else tried this before? If so did it work well or do most trucks come with higher output alternators.

https://youtu.be/cZ6JZysdFBw

https://youtu.be/14n9ex1RrPY

Never heard of doing it.
    I always put a bigger alt on. an AD244 high output.
    And do the big 3 that helps out so mulch.
    The crappy 6g wiring that chevy puts on sucks.
    I did 2g wires.
    Someone else will be a long to give you more info.
    Oh sure you're street smart.

Sesame Street Smart.

That's the really difficult way to do it.

As mentioned, step one is the big three wiring upgrade on your truck.
    Second is to get a 145 amp alternator which is a stock drop in option, just need a longer belt.
    Third is two new matching batteries wired truly in parallel.

Your issues will be resolved. Assuming your pump isn't dying. An amp draw/pressure test would be a wise idea I suppose before going too far......
    Caucasian and Confident

Is it a OBS or newer Body style?
    We only had issues with the newer body style....
    Did as they stated. Upgraded 160 amp alternator, 2g wire for pos+ and Neg- plus ran a new Neg- direct to the cab of the truck.
    The newer trucks have very bad grounding points.
    For the most part that took care of most of the Gremlins but the newer trucks seem to have a lotta electrical issues. I will no longer buy new trucks.
    We converted back to 1999 and older ground up restorations and have never had any issues. Plus we can build 3 trucks for the cost of 1 new one!
    If you cant run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!!!

Thank you for the good suggestions. I will do a voltage drop check on the suggested wires and up size the wire on anything that needs it. I have not done a pressure test on the plow but I do pull 180 amps going over relief. I thought the service manual said up to 200 was acceptable but please correct me if I'm wrong. The reason I ended up putting capacitors in was because a month before I purchased the plow I had just put a new battery and new alternator in the truck. I had the capacitors sitting there for something else. I guess I was surprised at how well they worked. Over 13 volts on the system well lifting the plow. It seems like they aren't used very often.

Again thank you for the help and input when my alternator wears out I will definitely follow your suggestions.

That amp draw is fine.

Keep in mind that while voltage drop testing CAN be very effective, you need to account for repeated cycling of the plow over time and the heat generated in various locations of the electrical system.

Or you could simply do the fix that that thousands of plow guys have been doing for decades now.
    Caucasian and Confident

I added a flux capacitor to mine..........I just have a problem hitting 88 MPH whilst plowing.

Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    I added a flux capacitor to mine..........I just have a problem hitting 88 MPH whilst plowing.
    Take it out of 4 Lo
    Caucasian and Confident

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Take it out of 4 Lo
    Huh, wonder why I didn't think of that.

Because you're plowingin Fords and Dodge/Fiat/Chrysler/Daimler/Plymouth/Renault/Plymouth/Benz instead of GM trucks
    Caucasian and Confident

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Because you're plowingin Fords and Dodge/Fiat/Chrysler/Daimler/Plymouth/Renault/Plymouth/Benz and Ram instead of pewter powered GM trucks
    Fixed it for ya
    Oh sure you're street smart.

Sesame Street Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    I heard they have a blue pill that will help ya with that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer2plower View Post
    Fixed it for ya

We played around with capacitors on plow trucks several years ago and a good sized battery/battery's and a strong alternator still comes out on top. Frankly by now I was expecting lithium to be stronger in the automotive battery market than it currently is.They'd help address some issues though they include their own problems currently.

What size capacitors did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by B&B View Post
    We played around with capacitors on plow trucks several years ago and a good sized battery/battery's and a strong alternator still comes out on top. Frankly by now I was expecting lithium to be stronger in the automotive battery market than it currently is.They'd help address some issues though they include their own problems currently.

I have some notes on all this somewhere. We did it at the time because we had temporary access to borrow pretty much as many caps as we wanted to try, so cost wasn't an issue like it would normally be. We tried beyond the completely pointless cost threshold though, which I seem to remember by then we were over 1000F.

Thread Information