Thread: Looking at newer Internationals.....

Default Looking at newer Internationals.....

My old 1993 International dump truck finally gave up to the ghost. Spun a rod bearing and the crank is toast. Overall, the truck is rough,it's more than paid for itself, & it's time to upgrade to something that doesn't have have the hi beam dimmer on the floor.

I plan to have my existing dump box, scissor hoist, hydro tank, pump, etc... removed fom my exisitng truck and transfer it on to a newer cab and chassis, which lead me to a limited WB, I need about 187" ideally. Not the easiest to find. May have to pay a dealer to shorten a CC for me?

Also, I really don't believe I want to buy a truck post 2007 due to emissions?

I will likely stay under CDL again, as I don't want to rely on employees to get their CDL for the few times a year they would need to drive it. I have a great Inernational dealer near me, and have always elt like they're parts pricing is fair, and they have an awesome parts counter guy as well.

Heres' a few I found somewhat close to me, please feel free to offer your critique.

http://www.trucksystem.com/inventory...t/?ID=11928287

http://www.trucksystem.com/inventory...et/?ID=9897898

http://tryautosales.net/pages/flats_...flats_0006.htm
    (This one is the right WB, and I can work with the red fenders, but I'm afraid it may have emissions and it's around Cleveland)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
    And why I am always bitching about stuff? I'm really like bir.

Two more:

https://www.fastline.com/v100/2006-I...68f4d8a6c.aspx
    (Not sure on WB and a few other things on this one, and the fact that it's probably near Roy has me skeptical as well)

https://badgertruck.worktrucksolutio...ruck/409/41232
    (This one's the closest, and probably the nicest, and looks like the right WB. Ned to verify a few things first, including WB & emissions)

We had/have a ton of 90s internationals and fords and have been watching them deteriorate before our eyes. So we got 2 4300s this fall. Wasn't so bright to get 2011s with the DPF filters but we've fixed one and will likely fix the other this summer. Now that we know how to resolve the emissions, I wouldn't so much worry about tying to get an 06 or older. Ours came with 24 ft boxes and we successfully had the frames cut down and the axles moved forward. We can pm if you want but we paid quite a bit less than the listings I glanced at. One of ours has hydraulic brakes and the other air. We will *try* to source air brake trucks going forward. We can go down this rabbit hole of we want - I saw that air brakes on a 25999 truck is a normal license.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    We will *try* to source air brake trucks going forward. We can go down this rabbit hole of we want - I saw that air brakes on a 25999 truck is a normal license.
    It Shirley is.

And that size truck, I will never go with hydraulic brakes\breaks again. The system is a disaster.

My hangup was I always wanted a transmission with a PTO to add a hotshift, but those are few and far between, should probably just accept a central hydraulic system.

Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

Get air brakes, last longer, cheaper and faster to repair. The Allisons are very good transmissions, tho I like a stick. DO NOT get the Maxforce V-8.
    The motor is a turd. Stick with the dt466. You want to see it run from stone cold, see how she starts, and how much it smokes, and how fast it clears up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    We had/have a ton of 90s internationals and fords and have been watching them deteriorate before our eyes. So we got 2 4300s this fall. Wasn't so bright to get 2011s with the DPF filters but we've fixed one and will likely fix the other this summer. Now that we know how to resolve the emissions, I wouldn't so much worry about tying to get an 06 or older. Ours came with 24 ft boxes and we successfully had the frames cut down and the axles moved forward. We can pm if you want but we paid quite a bit less than the listings I glanced at. One of ours has hydraulic brakes and the other air. We will *try* to source air brake trucks going forward. We can go down this rabbit hole of we want - I saw that air brakes on a 25999 truck is a normal license.
    I did see your newer Internationals, and was hoping you would respond.

Whatever info you can PM me (like where you found them) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Get air brakes, last longer, cheaper and faster to repair. The Allisons are very good transmissions, tho I like a stick. DO NOT get the Maxforce V-8.
    The motor is a turd. Stick with the dt466. You want to see it run from stone cold, see how she starts, and how much it smokes, and how fast it clears up.
    Good info, thanks!

Any idea when the emissions started on these trucks? I looked at a 2007 the other day, and it didn't have DPF or EGR yet. The salesman told me generally 2009 and later?

What is your opinion on Alison vs. Fuller auto? I have no problem with a stick either, just depends on what I can find here. And if I can find the right truck with air brakes under 26K, I'd prefer that as well. Obviously if it's an auto, I have to find one with PTO provisions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    It Shirley is.

And that size truck, I will never go with hydraulic brakes\breaks again. The system is a disaster.

My hangup was I always wanted a transmission with a PTO to add a hotshift, but those are few and far between, should probably just accept a central hydraulic system.
    We've actually had relatively good luck with the juice brakes on this last truck, BUT, I've always had good drivers in it on a regular basis, who know how to downshift & adjust trailer brakes. I still like air brakes better when I've driven them.

I ended up looking at the last truck I posted (the fifth one) on Monday. Everything was perfect for fit, until the salesman double checked the GVWR on the 'puter and found out it actually was a 33K truck...... The yellow upfitter tag on the doo was rubbed clean, and there was nothing else denoting axles rating on the truck. The devil on my left shoulder tells me I should just buy it and scribble in my own ratings.............

Getting a Class B is not that hard. I taught myself and then subsequently taught 5 or 6 guys here. When they passed I gave them I think a $250 bonus. So don't let the 33k scare you away. But on the other hand annual registrations on the 25999 is significantly cheaper than our 33 and 38k trucks

Around 03 they started with EGR and variable ratio turbo. OK motors. Around 08-09 started real emmisions. Id rather have an Allison than an Eaton auto shift. I would rather have air brakes than juice. Cheaper and faster to repair. Get the heavier truck, the class B is a walk in the park. Please keep in mind I do not own any, fix this stuff for a living. And I am not an expert by any means.

First of all, what's wrong with a floor dimmer switch? Gives my left foot something to do.....

I would agree that Class B is super easy to get, and also say that as an operator I'll take air brakes over hydraulic any day. Pull the button and the truck isn't moving. I like a stick but that certainly puts me in the minority and will admit that an Auto is likely a better option for a salt/plow truck. Only drove Alison's so no input about Eatons but I know the early auto clutches were terrible.

Definitely look at all financial aspects of exceeding 26k. Excise tax, registration, fuel tags, DOT numbers if needed, insurance, etc.
    Caucasian and Confident

I like a stick, always liked the Fuller 13 speed. Now one of the towns I do repair work for said they were looking at a
    used truck with an 18 speed. Kinda made me chuckle.

18 speed in a town truck certainly makes cents in hilly Jersey. Six wheel dump?

Don't forget the Jake brake so they can make it bark when split shifting running around town whilst empty. That's wicked cool.
    Caucasian and Confident

I must be ancient!
    Still running the 5-4 twin stick.... My son learned at age 14 how to run it sitting beside me and at age 20 is running it like Twin Stick Pappy!
    I guess he learned a skill that most will never Know...
    If you cant run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    18 speed in a town truck certainly makes cents in hilly Jersey. Six wheel dump?

Don't forget the Jake brake so they can make it bark when split shifting running around town whilst empty. That's wicked cool.
    Problem is they have trouble with an automatic. No one there has ever driven anything like that. At least I will make some money fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.C. Inc. View Post
    I must be ancient!
    Still running the 5-4 twin stick.... My son learned at age 14 how to run it sitting beside me and at age 20 is running it like Twin Stick Pappy!
    I guess he learned a skill that most will never Know...
    You still owe us some video of that truck running trough the gears, Brent
    Caucasian and Confident

That's a big Tin-Fir!
    If we'd ever run out of salt I'll get one on the next Gitty Up!
    The way this year is going I may have to sell some salt!!!!

I'll be selling are Ford in April... 1986 with 38K 4+2 don't want to take it with us... Looking for a cracker box (6v71) to take its place. I don't think they were offerd with 5-4s though. Think they only came with 13 speed. Want a ground up restoration....

Thanks again for the thoughts, gentlemen.

Pretty sure I'm just going to bite the bullet and get my Class A, as I really need it to pull an equipment trailer behind the dump anyways. I've just been dragging my feet for a couple years, and I always had at least one empolyee with a Class A, until this last Spring. I guess I've just put it off becasue I won't pass the physical, and am afraid that the Doc is going to call for a lobotomy.

I can pretty much guarantee the truck I buy won't have a split tranny, jake brake, or 6-71 though......

I guess this will open my search up a bit

Lobotomy!!!

Well, it only took me 2 months to find a truck,get it shortened, and get it home. Gotta love the illness known as procrastination.

Got everything off of the old truck now, just need to get a new PTO (hopefully I can find one tomorrow) and start mounting everything on the new truck.

Thanks to you guys for all the help so far, but one more question. This truck has air ride suspension in the rear (which I'm starting to question if I should have bought it for my use) and I've been told I should add an air dump for when I dump off-road, or anytime out of level. Would something like this be as simple as replacing the existing leveling valve in the back and adding a rocker switch in the cab?

https://www.finditparts.com/products...wzIaArXj8P8HAQ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, you want to be able to dump the bags. There is no rocker switch in the dash? To do it per factory is not that easy, as it would haft to go thru the systems controller.
    But it is easy to do aftermarket. Post a picture of your leveling valve, you may not have to replace it.

Randall, this was just a delivery truck before, so no, there is no dump valve. The leveling valve only has a supply and the 2 susp ports currently.

I did pick up a similar "Hadley 550 NH" today at the International dealer that is the same thing, except that it has a forth port at the bottom labeled "dump".

Now I need to figure out if I need a solenoid or if I should use some kind of air valve in the cab?

Thanks, Joe.

On edit, the new valve I have looks exactly like the one labeled:

Hadley 2K-500DC Instant Response Valve

On this page:

http://powerdown.com.au/products/had...ontrol-valves/

Is there one valve in the rear, or two? I think the IH part # for the valve with the dump feature is 2505183C91. Its easy to do, you need a flip toggle valve for the dash. looks like a toggle switch. You run a 1/4 supply air line to the dash valve. Then
    run the delivery 1/4 inch air line to the dump valve. You should install a pressure protection valve in the supply line, but it isn't severly needed.

Randall, there's just one valve at the back, the one leveling valve. I've asked two people in the "know", and it seems to be relatively simple based on their explanation. I've attached a photo of the leveling valve and switch I have to ensure I'm doing this right. (Don't anyone hate on my mad MS Paint skills) The valve is upside down, and showing the "Dump" fitting denoted on the valve. My biggest concern is that it's going to take the bags a long time to bleed out through that little hole?

air dump.jpg

That's about correct for your plumbing. And they dump relatively fast. Any questions I'm always around. Make sure the supplies to the bags are 3/8. And with those push in line fittings, make sure the air line is pushed all the way in.

Thanks again Randall. The air dump was extremely simple to plumb in, and works perfect.

Got a chance to haul 7-8 loads of concrete block demo today, the truck does everything I expected! Much better than the old one when it comes to comfort, also.

Quote Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
    Much better than the old one when it comes to comfort, also.
    And that alone can justify the investment

Sweet truck Joe What style/brand bed is on it? Or did I miss that post being lazy?

Thread Information