Thread: Would you follow through with the sale?

Default Would you follow through with the sale?

Yesterday I told a dealership that I'd buy one of their side-by-sides. I put $500 down and I said I'd pick it up today. It was still in the crate and it needed to be assembled...Can Am Defender. Salesman calls me after lunch and tells me to come and get the machine because it was all assembled and out for its test drive. I get to the dealership and the guy says "I was just about to call you. There's a problem with the machine...the computer needs to be flashed and the brakes don't work". Brand new just out of the crate and it doesn't work??? I told the guy this sort of thing makes me nervous.

Would you guys still buy this machine or ask for a different one? Maybe these problems are common and nothing is ever said about it but now that I know it's not easy to forget.

They simply rushed the delivery.

These things can set in storage for months and even a couple years so any updates (in either software or hardware) that have happened since it was boxed up, the dealers know they need time to complete it all. That's why dealers normally don't rush it from sale to delivery just for those reasons. No they don't always come out of they crate ready to deliver and it's the dealers job to take care of any issues (minor and common ones in the case) so they usually allot themselves a couple days from the sale to pickup to take care of them. On the other hand the bigger/high volume shops usually have at least several unboxed, assembled, prepped and ready to go so there's no waiting time but not all dealers can handle that much inventory so they remain crated until they're actually sold.

BRP's factory quality control isn't the greatest either, so fresh out of the crate minor issues are pretty common with them. And again it's the dealers job to take care of them. Sort of like DD's business model the last 20 years, let it be the next guys problem that opens the crate.

My first choice was a Polaris but after talking to a dozen people who have side-by-sides they all said Can Am was the way to go. The Can Am is even a couple grand more so I hope I didn't make the wrong choice. I guess time will tell.

Can't wait to get my DD plow installed on it

Dealer just called and said they can't sell me the machine. They offered me another one plus $100 off. I told them I'd call back in an hour...might switch to Polaris.

Seems the writing is on the wall per-se. Go with your gut.

I wonder where it was built. Mexico?

I have an '09 Outlander 400 which has been flawless other than the frame being totaled due to a 15 YO son who would listen to me.

Bought a '12 a couple years ago and it has been nothing but a POS. Engine rebuilt. Still burning oil. Electrical issues. Still doesn't have the power the '09 does which I found oot at Silver Lake Sand Dunes a couple weeks ago when I went with my daughter. She was climbing hills that I couldn't with the '12. Jumped on the '09 and I could get right up them.

I picked it up after they replaced the starter switch and was talking to a sales rep. He misunderstood which one had been giving me the problems. He said they had moved production to Mexico and how much better things had been since they had. Then I told him that the '12 was a flaming POS. He didn't say anything after that.

Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

Did you want to get the plow ordered then? :)

I used to do setup on bikes and atv's at the local shop. It was Yamaha, Honda, and some Kawasaki, and a few Can-Am machines. Almost never had a problem. I liked that job, no stress :)

I forgot to axe, when was BRP bought oot by the venture capital\hedge fund manager types?

My guess is betwixt 2009 and 2012. Always worth saving a buck by having Mexicans assemble them at $.50 per day vs a Canuck at $100 or $150 per day.

And heaven forbid the price goes down even when they save a chitload of money on labor and screw the customer.

I'm a fan of BRP brands. I've owned Ski-Doos and I love Rotax engines as they've never let me down.

I ended up agreeing to buy the other machine and I'm slated to pick it up tomorrow around noon. Jmac's post pretty much summed up where my mind was for most of the day but then I received a call from the manager of the place and he made me feel good about things. He said I can put on 200 miles and return it if I'm not happy for a full refund. While that's not a huge amount of miles it still tells me that he's confident it'll be a good unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    Did you want to get the plow ordered then? :)

I used to do setup on bikes and atv's at the local shop. It was Yamaha, Honda, and some Kawasaki, and a few Can-Am machines. Almost never had a problem. I liked that job, no stress :)
    I gotta admit, a Snowex blade would match the machine I'm getting perfectly.

My first choice is a chain-lifted blade but if I can't find one I'll have to take another look at what you've got. I want something that can do some stacking.

A 15YO boy not listening to his parent....... wow that's a new one on me, must be genetic...... Also there's a label clearly stating operators must be over 16YO....

Roy I can't speak for Can-Am UTV's but I can say Ranger XT900's are a good machine they just need to be maintained. My wife's Grandpa uses them on his ranch in Wyo, they use them as pickups around the place and put on aboot 4000miles a year. They beat the crap oot of them and the hold up pretty well, they're getting about 14,000 <> miles out of them before they're trashed.. They've broken a few half shafts which is understandable given how the run them, the biggest thing is keeping up on PM's and greasing joints. I've replaced ball joints and all the suspension bushing on them a few times because they don't grease them and they're always going through mud/water.
    This is what they're running. http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-...deluxe-edition

If you play to use the UTV for any work don't overlook a Gator, my uncle runs them on his ranch and they hold up better than the Polaris. The Gator is slower, only has 2 seats and less car like inside but it's more for work than play.
    No matter where you go.....there you are........

Sharp looking toy
    Oh sure you're street smart.

Sesame Street Smart.

What no cab.......

Nice buggy.
    No matter where you go.....there you are........

How many logs can it haul oot of the woods?

Or did you buy a dozer blade for it?

Looks cold! But fun in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Seems the writing is on the wall per-se. Go with your gut.
    Next time I don't listen you to please kick me firmly in my ass.

160 miles on the machine, transmission is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Camden View Post

Kick yourself. You were thinking the same thing weren't you?

Sure was.

These machines should not be so delicate. I'm having second thoughts on whether this will be trustworthy enough to plow with.

Thats it and ya killed it already! Were ya beating on it or causual use.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Thats it and ya killed it already! Were ya beating on it or causual use.
    Last weekend was the first time it was driven off-road and that was on an old railroad trail. No mud, brush, hills, nothing...just flat and straight through the countryside. If it can't handle that kind of riding it would never survive a real day of riding.

Last weekend was the first time it was driven off-road and that was on an old railroad trail. No mud, brush, hills, nothing...just flat and straight through the countryside. If it can't handle that kind of riding it would never survive a real day of riding.
    Or pushing snow, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    How many logs can it haul oot of the woods?

Or did you buy a dozer blade for it?

Did you know Ventrac has a Feller Buncher attachment???

Quote Originally Posted by Matson Snow View Post
    Did you know Ventrac has a Feller Buncher attachment???
    DO they have car seat attachments for Ryan yet?

And a bourbon bottle holder?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    DO they have car seat attachments for Ryan yet?

And a bourbon bottle holder?

Both are in the final stages of development....Should be ready by spring...

Thread Information