Thread: let's talk radios

Question let's talk radios

What are you guys using for radios? Or are you using cell phones?
    CB's have about 10+- miles. Handlelds walkie talkies depending on how much you spend can go up to 36+- miles or nothing at all.
    You can get some really expensive one's that requires a FCC permanent.
    I like cell phones. But I thank if the person is working for me I should have something other than his phone. Thoughts and input.
    Oh sure you're street smart.

Sesame Street Smart.

Default Re: let's talk radios

We used Motorola radios in the 80/90s and paid repeater charges but now we're strictly Verizon. Hands free and no charge Verizon to Verizon, far better, cheaper system. Plus never have to worry about the repeater going down which it liked to do at the most inconvenient times.

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!
    "Big hitter, the Lama. Long!." Carl Spackler

Forgot about the two way days. They were great truck to truck but that damn repeater. Yes, always dying at the worst time.
    Caucasian and Confident

Is there a Verizon or other app that lets several phones be grouped together and work like a radio? So if I talk into mine, everyone hears it on speaker?

Thanks Basher i will look in to them .

Sesame Street Smart.

we rarely talk anymore, texts are capable of being read at the operators convenience so unless its critical just group text.

Even for individual communication I find the written word much better, there is little opportunity for misinterpretation, more accurate for relaying numbers, addresses, etc. I rarely talk on the phone anymore, between messenger, text and email, the CYA advantages of time stamps and printed copy, and not have to get stuck listening to a bunch of unrelated BS pixels are much preferred.

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    we rarely talk anymore, texts are capable of being read at the operators convenience so unless its critical just group text.

Even for individual communication I find the written word much better, there is little opportunity for misinterpretation, more accurate for relaying numbers, addresses, etc. I rarely talk on the phone anymore, between messenger, text and email, the CYA advantages of time stamps and printed copy, and not have to get stuck listening to a bunch of unrelated BS pixels are much preferred.
    I agree with all that... but the last couple years I had a unit subbed on with a friends company, and so I had a one of their radios to communicate with them. One thing I noticed is they don't chat a lot on the radio, but they do joke around some on there, and catch up about the week, the game, the girls, whatever.... they essentially are becoming friends. That friendship builds better teamwork and keeps employees coming back storm after storm.

I want to put radios in just for the friendship/teamwork part of it. That alone will make us a better company. But I'm looking at putting tablets in the tractors anyways for GPS... so if there is a way to use the tablet as a "radio" then it could save the cost of radios.

I hated the radios. Guys wanted to talk while traveling between sites but I was working and responding meant stop what you're doing, finding and keying the mic. if you don't respond then they're calling you over and over. Then there where the guys I knew where sitting still on my dime while they talked on the radio. Finally I had to keep my stereo at a level I could hear the Motorola, really interfered with my ability to run wake the neighborhood volume levels I need to effectively function after the 18th hour..

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!

Very good point Basher about the endless bs and over talking on them.

Sesame Street Smart.

In those days cell phones where the exception rather then the norm and they were bag phones with $.35@ minute cell charges. Combine that with cell towers that were no more dependable then repeaters, major dead spots everywhere, the radios made both logistical and financial sense, but for us Nextel killed them price wise but didn't solve the other issues and then cheap smartphone killed press to talk technology.

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!

Plus the fact that the other companies could listen in our your business. We had a couple other landscapers/snow guys on the band. One company with a bunch of Jeeps were the noisiest. Their boss was a real jerk. He would lose his cool over and over on pushes. It was great entertainment, and a very good lesson on how not to behave on the air. Most of the time he would show no consideration towards the other companies. You could tell he would never monitor, and just step all over a conversation that was already going on with whatever he had to say at that moment. He was a very excitable jackass. The worst was when some idiot would be sitting on his mic. You could hear everything he was doing and no one could use the air until he was off the mic. Me and my ex-boss had a private channel on our radios that only he and myself could use. No one else could listen in on our conversations. We thought that was great. Then Nextel came along and quickly ended the radios days.

At one point back in the very early 80's I had a special radio with a DTMF keypad built into the mic. I could make phone calls with it. Once you dial and the person answers, it functioned like a 2-way. Press the key to talk, and let go of the key to listen.

Is there's "Nextel push to talk app or phone anymore"?

Quote Originally Posted by TCLA View Post
    Plus the fact that the other companies could listen in our your business. We had a couple other landscapers/snow guys on the band. One company with a bunch of Jeeps were the noisiest. Their boss was a real jerk. He would lose his cool over and over on pushes. It was great entertainment, and a very good lesson on how not to behave on the air. Most of the time he would show no consideration towards the other companies. You could tell he would never monitor, and just step all over a conversation that was already going on with whatever he had to say at that moment. He was a very excitable jackass. The worst was when some idiot would be sitting on his mic. You could hear everything he was doing and no one could use the air until he was off the mic. Me and my ex-boss had a private channel on our radios that only he and myself could use. No one else could listen in on our conversations. We thought that was great. Then Nextel came along and quickly ended the radios days.

At one point back in the very early 80's I had a special radio with a DTMF keypad built into the mic. I could make phone calls with it. Once you dial and the person answers, it functioned like a 2-way. Press the key to talk, and let go of the key to listen.
    I've said for a long time, "you can learn a lot from a dummy". It's a great line to use in an interview when asked what you've learned from the managers around you. They start listening to you then.
    Caucasian and Confident

I am going to stick with cell phones thanks guys,

Napper I have a new saying I like it ( the smartest dumb person ) We all know one.

Sesame Street Smart.

Thread Information