Thread: The New Boss (Toro)

Default The New Boss (Toro)

I just talked to ESI trying to place an order for 5-6 Boss plows and they are not allowed to ship them to me anymore.

This seriously has me considering other brands for the first time.

Default Re: The New Boss (Toro)

Steve they can't that sucks bad. I would make a call to your local boss(toro) rep and ask what's up. and skip the dealer and see what he as to say.but that's my $37.02
    Oh sure you're street smart.

Sesame Street Smart.

I've already talked to the local distributor. Even offered to become a dealer and commit to 10 units... got told that's not gonna happen.

You don't need to find an excuse to switch to Western.

We'll get you all hooked up with them on Wednesday.

Upset because they(toro) are protecting the local dealer? I guess Normad doesn't have protected territories?

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!
    "Big hitter, the Lama. Long!." Carl Spackler

Normand has protected territories for distributors, but the end user can still buy from any dealer they want, for whatever reason they want. As a distributor I can't setup a dealer outside my area, and I can't sell outside my area. But I can't tell the end user where to buy, whether that be from one of my dealers or not.

Where's the nearest terminal you can get ESI to drop ship the plows and pick them up yourself? And how much is the price difference vs your local dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    Normand has protected territories for distributors, but the end user can still buy from any dealer they want, for whatever reason they want. As a distributor I can't setup a dealer outside my area, and I can't sell outside my area. But I can't tell the end user where to buy, whether that be from one of my dealers or not.
    So a customer can buy a Normand from any dealer they want, but Normand dealers are restricted who they can sell to?

What happens when a customer wants to buy a unit from a dealer that isn't allowed to sell to them?
    Caucasian and Confident

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Where's the nearest terminal you can get ESI to drop ship the plows and pick them up yourself? And how much is the price difference vs your local dealer?

So a customer can buy a Normand from any dealer they want, but Normand dealers are restricted who they can sell to?

What happens when a customer wants to buy a unit from a dealer that isn't allowed to sell to them?
    If it's similar pricing compared to Western, he's looking at a 20-30% savings. A significant amount.

There's a difference between dealer and distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Camden View Post
    If it's similar pricing compared to Western, he's looking at a 20-30% savings. A significant amount.
    For that money put somebody in the Dodge and go get them
    Caucasian and Confident

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    Well I'm sure if you drove to ESI with a trailer Jim would be glad to sell you as many as you want, he can't ship them out of territory though.

Lots of manufacturers do this. I had a equipment dealer a few states away ask me if he could ship a unit to me for a customer because it would take a forklift to unload and though it would be a new unit it would be manifested and invoiced as used because manufacturers restrictions prohibited them shipping new units out of their territory. So it's not that uncommon of a practice.

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!

That doesn't make any sence to me. People do business with people. That's sales 101. That's the first thing anyone in sales should be trained on.

I understand protected areas. I used to work for an equipment dealer. Used to sell heavy equipment. Cranes and such. If someone outside my area is willing to cut a better deal than I'm willing to do so be it. I would still be mulch happier they buy my brand than the competitions brand. Being local to service the equipment is another animal. They will most likely come to me for servicing because of convenience.

The largest manufacturers in the world (automotive) understand this. You can drive right past five other dealers to buy from someone you wish to buy from...for whatever reason. The smallest sales teams in the world also understand this concept/reality.

People do business with people. Boss/Toro should really reevaluate their position on this...or risk losing more good long term customers like yourself.

I just want to point out that had Toro hired me to run Boss I would not have allowed this to happen.

And you would have switched to chain lift which would have killed sales anyway.
    Caucasian and Confident

You misspelled "broken sales records".

Caucasian and Confident

Quote Originally Posted by TCLA View Post
    That doesn't make any sence to me. People do business with people. That's sales 101. That's the first thing anyone in sales should be trained on.
    But you're suggesting people should do business with the internet based on price. The OP doesn't know Jim outside of the internet and there only because of the price. Does he know the name of the owner of the business he's buying from? It's not Jim. Would he do business with him if it wasn't for his price? Toro is trying to level the playing field to allow the local dealer to compete, they understand if the local dealer goes away so does the local support system and ESI isn't the only lowballer out there with nothing to sell but price.*

If you want to operate a profitable business you need to consider the company before the customer. Business 101

*ESI has a fabulous shop, dos some mega cool custom stuff and has some superior techs, but you need to drive to VA to take advantage of that.

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    But you're suggesting people should do business with the internet based on price. I suppose. Most people do when buying a widget. When you can get the exact same item somewhere else cheaper why not?

The OP doesn't know Jim outside of the internet and there only because of the price. Does he know the name of the owner of the business he's buying from? It's not Jim. He may not know the owner. Not that it doesn't matter, but when purchasing something through the company rep it may not matter to him. Jim is representing the company/owner isn't he?

Would he do business with him if it wasn't for his price? Probably not would be my guess.

Toro is trying to level the playing field to allow the local dealer to compete, they understand if the local dealer goes away so does the local support system and ESI isn't the only lowballer out there with nothing to sell but price.* Maybe the manufacturer is not governing their pricing to make sure it aligns with all the other dealers in different areas? If they can do that then that should take care of this issue?

If you want to operate a profitable business you need to consider the company before the customer. Business 101 I still think people do business with people when it comes to purchasing.

*ESI has a fabulous shop, dos some mega cool custom stuff and has some superior techs, but you need to drive to VA to take advantage of that.
    But what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by tcla
    Maybe the manufacturer is not governing their pricing to make sure it aligns with all the other dealers in different areas? If they can do that then that should take care of this issue?
    They tried, the discounters just changed their sites to read "to low to show on-line. Call for pricing" had they played the game this might not have happened.

Cequent monitors their dealers and will place "do not sell" restrictions on those who price out side of their accepted pricing. I get a list monthly including the dealers name and when they are allowed to purchase again. Disregard the list permanently lose you right to purchase.

Homepage

Like us on Facebook!

Thread Information