Thread: Salt dogg SHPE 1500 Auger Issue

Default Salt dogg SHPE 1500 Auger Issue

I have a 1500 and have had it for years. I have just recently had a issue with the auger motor. 2 years ago I put a new one on. It seemed fine but this year I got it out, put it one and just went to use it and the auger motor stopped. It showed a overload and it quit within a few minutes of use. So I thought it was bad. Got a new one again. Today same thing, ran a few minutes than overload and it will not run. If I turn the knob down for the auger the spreader still goes and so does the vibrator but no auger. I have checked the batt connections. I found the pos was bad at first and fixed it. That was for the first bad motor. Then on the second the ground seemed not so good and was a bit loose. So I made a new one. But still no auger. I took the first motor in to see if it's bad but cannot believe in just a few minutes it burned up but could that be possible? And now with the second I am at a loss. Al the connections seem ok but when I was running it last nite and lost the auger the plug in the truck was very hot. The control box was also hot but not as bad as the wiring connections plug inside at the back of the control box! Any ideas guys? I am in a real bind here I need this thing now and don't know what to look at?

Default Re: Salt dogg SHPE 1500 Auger Issue

Get a hydro or gasser.
    I bought one of the first salt dogg 2 yd spreaders and ran fine for two years then went to hell with every thing. Costed more in parts to keep fixing than to just by a decent spreader. ( gas or hydro )
    Can you turn the augar by hand freely?
    You check the bearing's?
    If you cant run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!!!

Either a bad controller or the front bearing is seized causing the auger motor to go into overload. Like OCC said, check to see if the auger turns freely. If it does, buy a real spreader.

Sorry, I can't help other than echo what the other 2 have said.

For more info, see the thread on POS electric spreaders. Or my 5 page thread on my POS Meyer\Swenson from last year.

Why aren't pics allowed in the signature line?

I would change out those ULTRA CHEESY CHINESE POS's connectors in the back with either Andersons or ones used for 120V applications.After I did mine a couple seasons ago,no more issues.
    SKULLFINDER--FINDER OF THE SKULL OF THE INFAMOUS HYDE PARK,NY MASTODON---YOUNGEST MASTODON FOUND ON THE PLANET

MALLEN EXCAVATING

Thread Information