View Poll Results: How many inches of snow must be predicted before you mount your plows? Post a Poll

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • After 1-2 inches of snow is on the ground

7 16.67%
  • I watch the neighbor, if he has his on I'll put mine on

2 4.76%
  • 24hrs before it snows

22 52.38%
  • It's on the truck all season long.

11 26.19%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many inches of snow must be predicted before you mount your plows?

Default How many inches of snow must be predicted before you mount your plows?

How many inches of snow must be predicted before you mount your plows or do you leave then on all season?

Default Re: How many inches of snow must be predicted before you mount your plows?

Mine is not a average comparrisom, it is as likely I have the plow on for a couple weeks in August as in January. But If I don't have mine mounted 24 hrs. before the storm, I'd never have time to do it. Based on that I joined the 24 hour club;)
    Homepage
    Like us on Facebook!
    "Big hitter, the Lama. Long!." Carl Spackler
    "Nature is relentless and unchangeable, and it is indifferent as to whether its hidden reasons and actions are understandable to man or not" Galileo Galilei

Default Re: How many inches of snow must be predicted before you mount your plows?

On average, I'd say 24 hours. There are times when I dont have plows on until the snow's on the ground, there are other times when the plows are on for weeks at a time. All depends on what's going on...
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLA View Post
    Woulda shoulda coulda...if's and but's are like monkeys and nutz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bri View Post
    THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY IGNORANT BRAINWASHED CITIZENS FOR A NOT SO GOOD CAUSE AND VARIOUS POLICE STATE AGENDA LOBBYING GROUPS

if i they are calling for more than two. I try not to leave it on the truck but if there is snow in the forcast consecutive days i will.

Also because i dont like leaving it on the truck i will mount it last minute or within ten hours before (but only if the truck isn't going anywhere).

I just dont see the point in driving around with it if there isn't snow.

I checked 24 hours, though it's usually less than that. I try not to wait for snow to start.

Most of the trucks have plows on for the winter.

If they're off, within 24 hours. My personal truck has had them go on at the beginning of the storm. But not more than that.

24 hrs before...check everything.....fluid film it down..and move it up/down/left/right a few times......better to check it then...then in 4 inches of snow
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4x4, 6.0L V8, Automatic, Crew Cab ShortBed,Fisher 7.5 MM2
    s*

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    He also says he will not put a burden on you past what you can stand. So know this........there is a way through this.......promise. It may not be the journey you had in mind, but that doesn't mean it can't turn out even better than what you had in mind for yourself, with your own plans.
    Mike-

Plows usually stay on unless I need to take a trip out of town.
    2004 F-250 V-10,CC, Western 1000 tailgate spreader, BOSS 81/2 V Blade
    2001 F-250 with a Sno-Way Lobo plow
    1994 F150 5.4 Ext, Sno-Way 71/2' Blade
    1989 F250 Boss 7 1/2' V Blade
    1989 F250 Wrecker Conversion Boss 9 1/2 V Blade
    1990 Chevy 3/4 ton with a Henderson V-Box spreader
    JD 4020 7' loader, 8' back blade

On more than off, but if I have to drive the truck any real distance with no snow I take it off...takes two seconds

Mine is only on if I am plowing. It only take seconds to take it off and put it back on so why carry it around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kendrick View Post

.....'Now learn to pay attention. Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretebaby View Post
    Mine is only on if I am plowing. It only take seconds to take it off and put it back on so why carry it around.
    X2 If I know I'm going out, I put it on before I go to bed or usually nap. It's all you guys that drive around wasting fuel with plows on there trucks causing all this global warming!
    [^

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirider944 View Post
    X2 If I know I'm going out, I put it on before I go to bed or usually nap. It's all you guys that drive around wasting fuel with plows on there trucks causing all this global warming!
    Nice try to blame me...buuuttt...I don't drive the truck unless it is plowing i take my car.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirider944 View Post
    not so much the fuel that is my reason for not keeping it on.

also wear and tear. Figure eight hundred lbs for the plow then put it out over the front end the force is even higher and if you hit a pot hole, frost heave, whatever the force could be substantially higher. That is alot of unnecessary stress on the truck for no reason if i can just take the extra couple minutes to take it off or put it on.

I have a chain lift which probably makes this worse (bounces like hell on frost heaves etc.) and the roads in maine are probably some of the worst in the country (no exageration) so i may be more susceptible to thinking like this than some of you.

Sure even those in better road locations without chain lifts realize the force of the plow on the front end when driving can be as bad or worse on the truck then the actual plowing.

I prefer to mount the wife before I going plowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandview View Post
    Took long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandview View Post

Huh? funny, Mark prefers to mount your wife before plowing to!!!!! roflmao

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kendrick View Post
    ... You should have voted for Steve the magical leprechaun instead, he is cool unlike Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerjoke View Post
    ... we at lets plow like to eat cookies and milk and collect shiney things.....
    "On that day when you need your brothers and sisters to care,I'll be right here.
    Citizen soldiers holding the light for the ones that we guide from the dark of despair.
    Standing on guard for the ones that we sheltered,
    We'll always be ready because we will always be there." Three Doors Down 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_McCauley View Post

Where ya been Tom?

And its a permanent mounting system too, once you mount it ,its yours!

It must be awkward plowing with that dangling off of the front.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
    It must be awkward plowing with that dangling off of the front.
    Not for those who are just overcompensating by buying a diesel.

Most of my plows get washed,taken off and put inside the shop to wait for snow... I'm using the money spent for the Ultra Mount system!
    Last edited by Snowplow71; 10-16-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    International 9400 Dump Western 10'
    Chevy 3500 9.5ft Fisher- Smith V-Salter
    Chevy 3500 8.6ft Western Ultra V wings
    Chevy 1500 7'6 Meyer
    '06 Chevy Western Ultra 10'2''
    '08 GMC Western Ultra 10'2''
    '09 GMC Western Ultra 9'6''
    3- Case 621's with 14ft Protechs
    John Deere 310SG 10ft
    traded my 40 year old wife in for 5 25 year olds!

maybe another question would be....

when do you PREFER to plow.

i pick night time. i like plowing at night or before the sun comes up. peaceful and quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by bri View Post
    maybe another question would be....

when do you PREFER to plow.

i pick night time. i like plowing at night or before the sun comes up. peaceful and quiet.
    Start a poll, don't change the subject. ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
    Start a poll, don't change the subject. ?)

wah

you start a poll.

i dont daily drive my trucks so they are on all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Dave View Post
    Hook line and sinker, GP put the bait out and you swallowed the hook. DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Quote Originally Posted by JDiepstra
    No wonder nobody likes you. you turn everything you touch into a steaming pile of dung.

We usualy get the trucks washed , serviced and dressed the afternoon before ....50% of the trucks stay in the warm shop until we head out .

I put the plows on if any snow is in the forecast around 12-24 hours before it goes down.
    04 F250 PSD FX4 Hiniker w/wings
    98 F150 4x4 Meyer w/wings
    Salt Dogg tgs06

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    I practically eat ****, and breath snow by this time of year.

Mine got on in november and come off in april they just sit and wait for the storm..(
    MORRIS REMOVAL SYSTEMS

Usually like to have it on before it starts, and before it gets dark. I've been known to carry it around on bright sunny days just to put the fear of God into stupid drivers too....most idiot drivers don't take chances around a 9' plow hanging off an F550 dump.

In the fall I'm superstitious
    If you put the plow on it will not snow.
    If you don't put the plow on and you sleep until 4am than it will have snowed.

Thread Information