PDA

View Full Version : Fisher plow hydraulic oil

Oldtimer
12-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I had a gallon of "genuine" Fisher plow hydraulic oil given to me this past fall...
So I drained the ATF it had in there, cleaned out the bottom cap/cup, and filled it with the new stuff.
Now the thing won't raise all the way up unless it's (oil) cold. Warm, after use, it just won't lift more than a few inches...and the angle rams have no holding power..
The Fisher oil is SUPER thin, like water...
Anyone else ever run into this?
I'm draining it all out and putting the ATF back, it worked great with that. Plenty of power.

bri
12-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I had a gallon of "genuine" Fisher plow hydraulic oil given to me this past fall...
So I drained the ATF it had in there, cleaned out the bottom cap/cup, and filled it with the new stuff.
Now the thing won't raise all the way up unless it's (oil) cold. Warm, after use, it just won't lift more than a few inches...and the angle rams have no holding power..
The Fisher oil is SUPER thin, like water...
Anyone else ever run into this?
I'm draining it all out and putting the ATF back, it worked great with that. Plenty of power.

no. and i use fisher fluid. wont use atf. which fisher model is it?

maybe you got some bad fluid......................wT
check the filiter? did you take off the reservoir? lines? drain everything?????

did someone tell it that it was a snoway????

SnoFarmer
12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Sounds like you got some air in the lines.

bri
12-17-2009, 10:47 AM
if you took off the reservoir i would start with that. pull it off again. check the filter and tube.
the updated ones are like fifteen bucks for the filter and tube. the older ones had a habit of falling out and if the filter is clogged......................

Oldtimer
12-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I didn't take off any lines, or the reservoir and if there's a filter, I never saw one. It's a MM-I.
I could go see if there's more air in there...
Why won't you use ATF?

bri
12-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I didn't take off any lines, and if there's a filter, I never saw one. It's a MM-I.
I could go see if there's more air in there...
Why won't you use ATF?

because your not suppose to. lol no really. i just heard bad things about doing that like friggn up seals etc. new ones i guess dont do to well with the tranny fluid.

mm1 .

drop the reservoir (thing that hold the oil) and there will probably be all kinds of gunk in the bottom to clean out. a tube comes out and goes in the reservoir which for the oil. at the bottom of the tube is a filter.
under motor. under bracket. round thing is reservoir.

in reservoir is tube and filter at bottom of tube
fifteen bucks or so.
the older ones didnt have clips and would fall out easier. new ones are plastic with a metal clip that holds the tube in.

i dunno. just my guess.

real easy and quick to do it is periodic maint.

Oldtimer
12-17-2009, 11:00 AM
This thing hates to come apart, so I hope I can just bleed out a bit of air...it worked just fine all last winter, and even this fall before I changed the oil. I can't see how the filter could be plugged knowing that. I pulled the mounting bracket off the bottom, it holds the res to the frame...has a cup that is supposed to catch the cultch..it had a bit of goo, but nothing serious..

SnoFarmer
12-17-2009, 11:02 AM
atf has wax ,paraffin in it at low temps this wax will come out of suspension and clog your filters and it will cause your plow to run slow & it also has friction modifiers that your pump does not need.

I doubt this proublem is from the type of fluid your using.

How did you get the old fluid out of the rams?

Oldtimer
12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
One ram was closed, the other out. Never did get it all out...this time I'll be sure to drain the entire thing 100% and use the fisher oil....these things I never knew, thanks.

bri
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
One ram was closed, the other out. Never did get it all out...this time I'll be sure to drain the entire thing 100% and use the fisher oil....these things I never knew, thanks.

i didnt either until someone told me once. And i actually figured out how to do it. still got alot to learn.

let us know how it goes. w*

SnoFarmer
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Drain your reservoir, take a look at what bri suggested.
refill.

One ram out the other compressed, lift ram/rams compressed / retracted too.
Remove the hose from the extended ram and put the end of the hose into a catch can. Run the plow to swing it the other way and reattach the hose.
Try to minimize any air from getting into the system.

Then move the plow around, up, down, side to side a few times this should work out any air that may have gotten to the system.

Oldtimer
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Just went out and ran to the store with it. Plow works excellent when the oil is over-night cold. Used it for a few minutes and it started losing lift again..that don't sound like a plugged filter....I will do as you all suggested. Thanks guys.

SnoFarmer
12-17-2009, 01:10 PM
hummm.

Low voltage?
Electric motor going out?

Maybe b&B will stop by.
I'll have to give this some more thought.

bri
12-17-2009, 01:32 PM
hummm.

Low voltage?
Electric motor going out?

Maybe b&B will stop by.
I'll have to give this some more thought.

im not. sticking with the filter. and the filter is normal maint. anyway it should be done every year or two not much different than a car oil filter..
if the filter was changed. the thing was completley bled and refilled. the tube was seated properly and he was still having problems then i would give it more thought.
warms up stops working. could be because a bunch of that crap is loosening up as it warms clogging the little bit of the filter still open.

keep it simple until otherwise specified.

Cedar Grounds
12-17-2009, 07:35 PM
tells it right on the plow to only use Fisher fluid, glad you got her going.

bri
12-17-2009, 07:44 PM

not when they get old it dont. damn stickers only last so long........)))

Cedar Grounds
12-17-2009, 07:46 PM
not when they get old it dont. damn stickers only last so long........)))
read the manual.....can be downloaded I assume (:

bri
12-17-2009, 08:20 PM
read the manual.....can be downloaded I assume (:

actually you used to be able to right at the fisher site. not sure if you still can but good possibility.

im not even sure if he has a sehp or a inta act. think they were both mm1's in like 1998 then they switched to the insta act and the three wires. all mm1's though.

always been a bit of a gambler i want to know if i guessed right. corn1

Oldtimer
12-18-2009, 04:16 AM
But when you develop a Valdez size leak @ 9PM and it's starting to really snow...you use the stuff you can lay hands to. And if it works you don't fix what ain't broke.

2COR517
12-18-2009, 09:14 AM
I ran the Fisher blue in my old Insta-Act MM1, and of course in the new XV. No troubles with it.